Congratulations, You will be taking home one of our puppies soon.
Here is a list of things to consider and to help you prepare for the homecoming of your new family member. First make your post buy vet appointment within 4 days following the day your puppy goes home.
What your puppy will leave here with:
*AKC PAPERS (Sold on Limited Registration--no breeding rights unless agreed upon prior to pick-up).
*HEALTH RECORD (showing all vaccinations and wormings to bring to your first vet visit).
*PUPPYPACK (FOOD, TOY)
*GROOMED (NAILS CLIPPED, BATHED, EARS CLEANED)
*SOCIALIZATION TO CHILDREN AND OTHER ANIMALS
*UP TO DATE ON SHOTS AND WORMINGS
*DOGGY DOOR TRAINED
*OLDER PUPS ARE CRATE TRAINED
*SENT HOME WITH NUVET SUPPLEMENTS FOR PRODUCING STRONGER IMMUNE SYSTEMS.
*MICROCHIPPED (ADDITIONAL COST) WITH AKC PUPPY PACKAGE.
*AND MUCH LOVE AND CARE !!
Items to bring when picking up the puppy:
1. Leash and Collar-we like the adjustable collars that give some growth room. A 10-12 inch collar should fit nicely.
2. Blanket, towel etc. that you would like the scent of mom and littermates put on. This is to help the first nights when the puppy is first home and separated from his/her littermates.
3. If final payment need to be made-CASH is accepted at time of pick up or credit card (plus fees). Final payment can also be made by sending a check 2 weeks prior to your pick.
4. Cleaning supplies-puppies are known to get car sick so having some paper towels, old towels, wipes, and plastic bags to dispose in are what we recommended.
5. Travel crate if you wish. Many hold their puppies on their way back home, if they have others in the car to help them. Holding the pup will help it with the stress of traveling. A travel crate size should be about 16 inches in height.
Items to have at home:
Food---Your puppy will be on Purina ProPlan Focus Large Breed Puppy. We have seen this food at the following stores: Family Farm and Home, Tractor Supply, and the Co-op in our town and you can order it through Chewy. We feed the puppies twice a day and the amount to feed once going home will be 1 ¼ - 2 cups of food a day. So split that amount into 2 meals.
2. Treats for training---we really like Pup Pepperoni. They are soft and can be broken into small tidbits. Any soft training treat
will work, we also use a lot of string cheese that we cut into small slices for our poodles that are more of a picky eater.
3. We recommend ordering and having the pro-biotic Purina Forti-Flora on hand. It is good to have on hand and start the first day
home to help with the stress of moving and the change of their environment, water supply and schedule or the change in food
which all can cause bowel issues and cause soft stools in puppies. You can also otherwise use a can of 100% to add extra fiber to
their diet. A few tablespoons added to their food can help correct the issue of soft stools.
4. Bowls for food and water. We do not recommend raised food dishes. The research we have done we feel feeding from
raised food bowls, eating one large meal rather than more frequent smaller meals, eating quickly, and having a nervous
temperament may contribute to bloat. Dogs would eat off the ground in the wild and we feel this is best for them in the home
5. Blanket, bed, pillow etc.
6. Crate---We highly recommend crate training. All of our dogs are crate trained. Crate training is especially useful when house
training. Dogs also like to have their own spot to retreat too. For an adult size crate we use crates from 26-32 inches high.
7. Toys and lots of toys---De-stuffed ones are great that they really like. These are some of our favorites. Any toy with a
squeaker but only let them play with it under supervision. Nyla bones for teething (some are even edible) or Kong toys will
keep them busy for a while. Really bare bones or bones with stuffed middles. These are the best we have found for keeping
teeth nice and clean. We buy our bones at Jeffers. Rawhides are fine but only give your puppy/dog them when you can
watch them with the bone. I like the rolled ones, not the ones with the knots on the ends. These knots can come off and cause
choking hazard, or they swallow them whole which can cause bowel obstructions. When the rawhide gets small
enough to fit all the way in their mouth throw it out, they could then swallow it whole. Also I would not offer them a rawhide
everyday as rawhide does not break down quickly in their stomachs.
8. Grooming supplies-puppy shampoo-any will mostly do- if your pup reacts to it stop using it. Some brushes to start with
would be a pin brush and when the pup gets older you will need also a slicker brush. For labs a rubber hand brush, grooming
glove or curry brush works great as well.
9. Books and videos. Your puppy will go home from here with a training video. But any books or videos to help prepare will be
helpful. Get to know your breed and learn training techniques. We breed quality puppies and dogs but it is up to you to
raise and train a quality well behaved dog.
10. Nuvet Vitamins—We highly recommend these vitamins for the first year of life while the puppy is growing and his/her
immune system, joints and bones, heart muscles, eyes, teeth all developing, changing and growing. Nuvet also make
vitamins to help senior dogs with arthritis and also have ones of cats.
As a dog breeder, animal health is my top priority. That’s why I enthusiastically recommend NuVet immune system builder to
all of my customers. Simply put, it is the best nutritional supplement available today.
Initially your pup gets his immunity from his Mom but once weaned he needs help to build his own immunity to protect him in his new environment (see attachment). NuVet was specifically formulated with potent antioxidants to assist your pup during this trying period and for years to come. He/she can enjoy it as a treat daily. Please order prior to receiving your pup.
Hundreds of thousands of dogs and cats are using NuVet to protect against most ailments (from back yard pesticides, pet food allergies and hormones, toxic formaldehyde in furniture and carpeting, ailments transmitted from dog parks and the vet’s office, etc), while maintaining a beautiful skin and coat.
This is not just a vitamin. It’s an immune system builder with a precise balance of vitamins, minerals, omega fatty acids, amino acids and high-potency antioxidants. That’s why it works so well through all three stages of a dog’s life.
1. For younger dogs (under 2 years old), it strengthens their immune system, while building and strengthening the cardiovascular, skeletal and nerve systems.
2. For dogs in their prime (age 2-8), it improves the luster of their skin and coat while protecting against allergies, skin and coat problems, staining from tears, digestive problems, etc.
3. For older dogs (over 8 years old), it helps protect against, tumors, premature aging, cataracts, heart conditions, diabetes and many types of cancer, while extending the life and improving the vitality of many dogs.
I highly recommend NuVet Plus to keep your pet on the path to perfect health! It’s not available in stores, and is only available to the general public with an order code from an authorized pet professional.
For your convenience, you may order directly from the manufacturer by calling 800-474-7044 and using Order Code: 29178, or ordering online at www.nuvet.com/29178 . You can also save an additional 15% and assure you never run out of NuVet by choosing the “AutoShip” option at check out.
Please order prior to picking up your puppy.